Wednesday, January 19, 2005

This is Jennifer Johns

Jennifer Johns Live at the Temple Bar.


more..


I got the assignment to interview Ms. John's just days before. It was the Friday after Thanksgiving. Had about 24 hours to prepare for the interview which surprising everyone cut into the holiday. I read her bio, listened to the album 'Heavyelectromagnetsolarpoeticjunglehop' on repeat for the full 24 too.

I liked the way it made me feel right away. It put me a inspired futuristic sexy mood. It made me excited to see the show.

The following night at the Temple Bar in Santa Monica, CA the place was packed with a big line up of new musicians.

I had never actually been to the Temple Bar but I had the heard great things from those that had and those that had performed there.

It was a great show, high energy, and full of depth. Jennifer has a special quality when she performs she takes you somewhere more profound and she understands how to do it right.

By the time I actually caught up with her long enough to do the one-on-one interview the night was wrapping up.

She was full of energy but a little shy at the same time. I wanted to make her feel comfortable, I wanted it to be easy. It was just like that. We talked just us first just to get familiar with things. We talked about the usual stuff how are you? How was your Thanksgiving? Where are you from? When is your birthday?

We actually hit it off which seldom happens in these instances. Typically its you do your thing I do my thing its business. But I got lucky and people things happened. I really liked her and found her to be quite mature and together. She's an artist I realized. She's not just doing it to Entertain people. Its bigger than that.
I admired what I discovered. I was inspired by her ability to just do what she needs to do. It reminded me of things I had not seen in a while. Life, Freedom, Expression, natural things.

When we finally got down to business that just happened too. The recorder was on and I asked a couple of questions. Did the usual prying to get any extra juice, scoops, or tid bits out there that I could.

I don't like doing interviews in the usual way. I don't cling to useless quotes and mindless sentences. I like to keep things plain and simple. Find out who they are, what they do, how they do it, and what that is good for.

Because after all good writing gets attention, good subjects get praise.

She was a good subject. Even for a novice like me. Its been a long time since I have found this much talent in the unsigned or indy lable market.

It gives me renewed hope for the future of real music in the age of iconicpop.

Jennifer moved me rhythmically, spiritually, and emotionally. Her shows are definite must sees for any and all.

The Temple Bar exploits some real talent these days and I hope everyone gets a chance to experience it. Its a moment; when you find that perfect bar or club, with good music and great talent, good drinks and cool people. Its a phenomenon not to be missed.

I am glad I was there. I am sorry if you weren't but hopefully you won't miss the next one.

Meanwhile, here are some clips from the album, pictures from the night, and the link to the "refined" interview publishing.

Feel free to holla back!

this is an audio post - click to play
this is an audio post - click to play


Jennifer Johns Interview by Camille Jacks for Whudat.com Link

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://edripdzg.com/fcnl/sjbn.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://hbmkpoye.com/opcm/azyf.html]Cool site[/url]

September 23, 2006 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

September 23, 2006 at 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://edripdzg.com/fcnl/sjbn.html | http://mckimdpg.com/epga/imja.html

September 23, 2006 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home